Thinking about becoming a Massage Therapist?
Be sure to do your research on this career so you know what you are getting into before spending time and money on school.
These are the classes you will be taking in massage school. It is important to find a quality school that has implemented the Entry Level Analysis Project Data (ELAP www.elapmassage.org) into their massage courses. This will ensure that your education will prepare you for what is ahead.
- History of Massage Therapy ELAP recommendation:1.5 hours of instruction on the evolution of massage and bodywork.
- Anatomy and Physiology
Chemistry, Cells, Tissues & Membranes, Endocrine, Cardiovascular, Lymphatic, Respiration, Digestive, Urinary, Reproductive, and Immune Systems, Metabolism, Nutrition, and Cadaver Studies.
Bones, Muscles, Tendons, Ligaments, Joints, Postural Assessment, Body Mechanics, Biomechanics and Motion
- Kinesiology: How muscles work. Origins and Insertions of muscles and their actions
- Pathology: Diseases and conditions and how to work with them.
- Massage Theories :
Deep Tissue Massage
Benefits of massage
- Therapeutic application – skills and clinical work, charting
- Massage Research Literacy : ELAP recommendation: 3 hours
- Science Literacy
Science vs Pseudoscience
What gets in the way of critical thinking?
General Hydrotherapy Applications, Temperatures, Effects of Hot and Cold
Hydrotherapy Test Questions
Eastern, European and Western theory/methods
- Specialized Populations such as: athletes, abused, elderly, children, infants, pregnancy, physically challenged, psychologically challenged, chronically ill, terminally ill
- Connective tissue, Positional release, Reflexology, Sports massage, Acupressure, Shiatsu, Polarity, Myofascial release, Trigger points, Magnetic therapy (Energy Techniques), Massage in pregnancy, Baby massage, Iridology, On-Site massage, Skilled touch, and Deep lymphatic drainage.
- Hygiene and Safety
- HIV awareness and blood-borne pathogens
- Massage Business and Marketing ELAP – 4 hours of instruction on massage laws and regulations25 hours of instruction on career planning
Massage Insurance Billing including healthcare integration, charting, billing and getting paid,
- Massage Jobs – Creating or finding Your Ideal Job in Massage
- Supervision, Peer Groups, Mentoring ELAP Recommendation: 8 hours of instruction on personal health, body mechanics, and self care
Licensing and Legislation issues
Defining Massage, Massage Therapy, Massage Therapy Practice