Thinking about becoming a Massage Therapist?
Be sure to do your research on this career so you know what you are getting into before spending time and money on school.
These are the classes you will be taking in massage school. It is important to find a quality school that has implemented the Entry Level Analysis Project Data (ELAP www.elapmassage.org) into their massage courses. This will ensure that your education will prepare you for what is ahead.
- History of Massage Therapy ELAP recommendation:1.5 hours of instruction on the evolution of massage and bodywork.
- Anatomy and Physiology
Chemistry, Cells, Tissues & Membranes, Endocrine, Cardiovascular, Lymphatic, Respiration, Digestive, Urinary, Reproductive, and Immune Systems, Metabolism, Nutrition, and Cadaver Studies.
Bones, Muscles, Tendons, Ligaments, Joints, Postural Assessment, Body Mechanics, Biomechanics and Motion
ELAP Recommendation:13 hours of instruction on an orientation to the human body5 hours of instruction on the integumentary system 10 hours of instruction on the skeletal system 6 hours of instruction on the fascial system
- Kinesiology: How muscles work. Origins and Insertions of muscles and their actions
- Pathology: Diseases and conditions and how to work with them.
- Massage Theories :
Deep Tissue Massage
Benefits of massage
ELAP recommendations: 7 hours benefits and effects of massage
4 hours of instruction on an orientation to palpation and movement
13 hours of instruction in foundation principles and skills
15.5 hours of instruction on massage cautions and contraindications2.5 hours of instruction on equipment and session environments5.5 hours of instruction on preventing disease transmission20 hours of hands on practice in massage and bodywork application methods classes13 hours of instruction on the muscular system16 hours of instruction on the nervous system4 hours of instruction on the cardiovascular system13.0 hours of instruction on the lymphatic, immune, digestive,respiratory, endocrine, reproductive, and urinary systems82 hours of instruction in the application of massage and bodywork30 hours of instruction in the massage or bodywork session9.5 hours of instruction on the shoulder and arm9.5 hours of instruction on the elbow, forearm, wrist, and hand9.5 hours of instruction on the head, neck, and jaw
9.5 hours of instruction on the spine and thorax9.5 hours of instruction on the pelvis and hip9.5 hours of instruction on the thigh and knee9.5 hours of instruction on the leg, ankle, and foot11 hours of instruction on adapting sessions for the stages of healing50 hours of instruction and practice integrating application methods from a Western paradigm, including Swedish massage,myofascial approaches, and neuromuscular approaches,50hours of instruction and practice integrating application methods from an Eastern paradigm, including shiatsu ,tuina, and Thai massage,50 hours of instruction in the student clinic
- Therapeutic application – skills and clinical work, charting
- Massage Research Literacy : ELAP recommendation: 3 hours
- Hydrotherapy:General Hydrotherapy Applications, Temperatures, Effects of Hot and Cold
Hydrotherapy Test Questions
- Electro/Heliotherapy, Aromatherapy
- Eastern, European and Western theory/methods
- Specialized Populations such as: athletes, abused, elderly, children, infants, pregnancy, physically challenged, psychologically challenged, chronically ill, terminally ill
- Connective tissue, Positional release, Reflexology, Sports massage, Acupressure, Shiatsu, Polarity, Myofascial release, Trigger points, Magnetic therapy (Energy Techniques), Massage in pregnancy, Baby massage, Iridology, On-Site massage, Skilled touch, and Deep lymphatic drainage.
- Hygiene and Safety
- HIV awareness and blood-borne pathogens
- Massage Business and Marketing ELAP – 4 hours of instruction on massage laws and regulations
Massage Insurance Billing including healthcare integration, charting, billing and getting paid,
- Massage Jobs – Creating or finding Your Ideal Job in Massage
- Supervision, Peer Groups, Mentoring ELAP Recommendation: 8 hours of instruction on personal health, body mechanics, and self care
25 hours of instruction on career planning
Licensing and Legislation issues
Defining Massage, Massage Therapy, Massage Therapy Practice