If you are just looking into massage school or are in the midst of schooling, one of the most common concerns is how long will it take you to start and run your own massage business? Many massage schools mistakenly will tell you that it will take many years – 4-5 at least. Be sure to ask whoever is saying that it takes a long time to start a massage business what their experience is in running a business.
It really depends on what type of business you will be starting and many other things.
- Do you have previous business experience- starting and running some other type of business?
- Do you have previous experience in marketing or customer service?
- Do you know how to build a SEO website that gets you most of your clients?
- Do you have money saved in the bank to live on while you start so that you don’t have to work part time while trying to start a business?
- Have you made your business plans?
- Do you know how to negotiate rent for office space?
- How many employees will you have or will it be just you? If it is just you, it is much easier really.
- Have you or are you learning the skills of rebooking clients?
- Have you or are you learning how to create a referral network from other businesses/people/health care providers?
- Do you have set office hours and keep them even though you don’t have a client?
Just start where you are at. You can easily start by renting a space from someone else to reduce your over head.
You will just need to be committed and persistent. Go into the office everyday and work a full day at getting clients! Most massage therapists seem to want more of their own time and will only go in when they have clients and don’t do the marketing that they need to be doing. Be ready to see clients when they want a massage (within your office hours of course!) Setting your hours provides a framework for doing business while also creating the ‘container’ for clients to feel safe and to trust you.
I asked on my Facebook Page – MassagePracticeBuilder