Town Center 2
111 Israel Rd SE
Tumwater, WA 98501
Listserve sign up – Keep informed of board meetings and latest rules/regulations
General Overview of Laws, Rules and Regulations. For complete information and the latest information, please visit the Board of Massage Website and Ask the Board of Massage any questions that you have.
Definitions (Scope of Practice) :
(6) “Massage” and “massage therapy” mean a health care service involving the external manipulation or pressure of soft tissue for therapeutic purposes. Massage therapy includes techniques such as tapping, compressions, friction, reflexology, Swedish gymnastics or movements, gliding, kneading, shaking, and fascial or connective tissue stretching, with or without the aids of superficial heat, cold, water, lubricants, or salts. Massage therapy does not include diagnosis or attempts to adjust or manipulate any articulations of the body or spine or mobilization of these articulations by the use of a thrusting force, nor does it include genital manipulation.
Reflexology” means a health care service that is limited to applying alternating pressure with thumb and finger techniques to reflexive areas of the lower one-third of the extremities, feet, hands, and outer ears based on reflex maps. Reflexology does not include the diagnosis of or treatment for specific diseases, or joint manipulations.
RCW 18.108.050 Exemptions.
- Giving massage or reflexology to family members
- Massage or reflexology practiced at a institution
- Students in massage school or reflexology school
- Somatic education programs approved by the state – See list of programs.
Massage Transfers from other states must meet the requirements for WA State.
RCW 18.108.230 Animal massage practitioner :
one hundred hours of training in either large or small animal massage. Training must include animal massage techniques, kinesiology, anatomy, physiology, first aid care, and proper handling techniques.
WAC 246-830-435 Animal massage training
100 hours consisting of:
RCW 18.108.250 Intraoral massage: Training must include intraoral massage techniques, cranial anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology, hygienic practices, safety and sanitation, pathology, and contraindications.
WAC 246-830-490 Intraoral massage training.
To qualify for an intraoral massage endorsement you must complete the following training:
Special Laws of Interest:
WAC 246-830-040 Equipment and sanitation.
- A massage practitioner’s name and license number to appear on all of his or her advertisements.
- A massage practitioner to conspicuously display his or her license in his or her principal place of business.
- A massage practitioner to have a copy of his or her license available for inspection while performing any activities related to massage therapy if it’s not his or her principal place of business.